Wednesday, August 6, 2008

THE GIANT SAINT

Today I went to the New Orleans Saints training camp and watched them practice. Somehow they weren't the "super heroes" they seem to be on Sunday afternoons in the fall. I thought I would have been more star-struck than I was, but it was kinda nice seeing that they were just regular guys standing around in jerseys and football helmets. In fact, the only difference between them and myself is that they can run faster, ok and jump higher, and maybe bench press way more...... ok, ok, so they ARE super heroes after all!

When I heard that they were coming back to town again this year for training camp, I started looking for another candidate to draw. Since I'd already drawn Deuce, I thought about the usual Reggie Bush or Drew Brees, but suddenly Jeremy Shockey's name popped up and he was the newest member of the team. I had my candidate! It took me about a weeks worth of late nights spent sketching and shading to get the job done before they packed up and left.

After work, I went to the afternoon practice and stood in the sun melting, drawing in hand, waiting for the autographs to begin! There were a LOT of people there (several hundred) and they all started crowding together trying to get something signed. It took a few minutes for him to sign it, but it finally happened! I haven't decided if I'm going to try to draw any more before training camp is over. I might just watch another practice or two and enjoy the experience while it lasts!




No comments: